Friday, December 3, 2010

Music



I love music. In fact, I can't write without it. But I'm fairly particular in the music I listen to. It can't be upbeat. It can't be something I find myself singing along to. That's distracting. But it needs to have a great feel to it, something that invokes some kind of emotion in me, which usually translates into a scene where one of my characters feels something similar. Or it just really zens me out and I can get into a great groove. So when I sit down to write, I put in my headphones and zone out all the things around me so I can get lost in my head.

Last night Sparky had to study for an upcoming test and the kids were in bed sleeping. So I pulled out my beautiful laptop (It's new and I still sigh in happiness over it.), put in my headphones, and started typing. The song that I was listening to?

Jar of Hearts by Christina Perri. It's a new discovery but I'm completely in love. It's haunting and beautiful and while it's not really relevant to what I was writing, it got me in the zone. So for an hour I had this on repeat and got out 13oo words. Not bad for an hour. So Christina Perri, I thank you. : )

3 comments:

  1. I am so in obsession with this song. Maybe I'm weird, but I still can't write to music. Whenever music is on, I get too involved in it and my mind can't create anything... I just sink into the music and live what the artist is conveying... leaving me with no creativity at all. Anyway, love this. Love you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this song fits so well!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, isn't it a fabulous song? I have to have music, otherwise I get distracted. Andrea, who do you think this song fits with? (Just curious.)

    ReplyDelete