Friday, December 10, 2010

Critiques and Inspiration

This last Tuesday was my first in person critique group session. It was just me and Andrea because Aubrey and all her little boys were super sick, but we got some good work done I think. It was a fairly simple meeting - we read each other's stuff and made notes and suggestions and asked questions on where we were each headed with our stories and clearing up any confusing pieces. We listened to some music that was inspiring us at the moment and then headed to the travel section of the bookstore where we met to look at ideas for settings. It was really helpful, because while it's always good to get feedback in emails and texts, it's nice to get it in person. Andrea and I brainstormed a little on pieces of each of our stories that were giving us trouble, which I must admit was very helpful. I have a much better idea on how to end and start the story in a way that is suspenseful but doesn't tick off my future readers. So, a huge thanks to her for helping me work that out. I'm excited to work on everything and making it better as I go.

As for inspiration, this week also saw the release of Last Sacrifice by Richelle Mead. She is one of my heroes and this book just inpsired me to put my heart and soul into what I write, so that I can write a story that will connect with readers. I love all of her books, and in each series, she brings something different to the table that makes it unique and special. But in each series, the story is so beautifully written that I get completely sucked in and can't stop until it's finished. Someday, I hope I can write a story that others will love as much as I love her books. If I can do that, if I can write something that connects with people, makes them care about and love my characters, then I will be the happiest girl in the world. So, a big thank you to Richelle Mead, not only for writing incredible stories, but for inspiring me to strive to do the same.

1 comment:

  1. I wanna read it :) Although... you're probably not happy with me for still not reading Beautiful Darkness. lol I suck at reading.

    ReplyDelete