Monday, August 27, 2012

Looking for something to read?

Hello lovelies! Sorry I didn't post my Thursday Three last week. I'll be completely honest, I forgot about it. But I won't this week. And to make up for no post last week, I'm going to tell you about two incredible books I've read lately.

First up is Rift by Andrea Cremer. If you don't know her books, you should really fix that. Her stories are intricate and the worlds she builds are incredible. I fell in love with her when I first read Nightshade, and through the course of the trilogy, her writing left me in awe. It was beautiful and captivating, with characters so complex they felt incredibly real. And best of all, she writes without apology of strong, smart, and fierce female characters. Sure, they have their flaws, as all great characters do, but they aren't afraid to take the reins and put those boys in their place when needed. Rift is a prequel to the Nightshade series, taking place several hundred years beforehand and giving a deeper look at what started the conflict taking place in Nightshade. I loved Ember from the first page, fighting against the standard expectations for girls in that period to follow her heart and carve out her own future. She also discovers love for the first time, and the sexual tension is that slow burning kind that gives you butterflies in your stomach and tingles in your skin until you're practically shouting at the book "Just kiss already!!" and squealing in delight when it finally happens. I devoured it in two days because I just couldn't put it down. But no matter which series you decide to pick up first, you won't be disappointed. She's amazing.

And second is The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin. This is the second time I've read it, as I needed to refresh my memory for when the next book comes out in October, and it was just as fantastic as the first time. It's so different and engrossing that I completely lose myself when I read it. Mara is one of those characters that sticks with you even after you've put the book down, so incredibly written with such a strong voice that I am green with character envy. And as for Noah...oh sweet merciful heavens above, I love me some Noah Shaw. And the sarcastic exchanges he has with Mara throughout the whole book left me giggling and a little swoony. But beyond the broken girl and mysteriously hot guy is an intricate plot that keeps you turning the pages until, like the characters, you see everything come together. I am DESPERATE for the next book (The Evolution of Mara Dyer, out October 23), and I'm beyond thrilled that there will be a third.

So, there you go. Two incredibly awesome books for you to go out and find. How about you guys? Have you read anything great lately? Books that you want to make all your friends read too, so they can also enjoy the fabulousness? Sound off in the comments, I'm always looking for great new books to read!  

No comments:

Post a Comment