Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Update and Music





So, I originally posted this song (different video) a few weeks ago, but it was taken off and I don't know if anyone got to see it. So I'm posting it again, because it's just such a great song and it connects to my main male character so much. I love Taylor Swift, and this is off of her newest CD. I think the lyrics are absolutely perfect for what my poor boy goes through, and while I prefer the acoustic version of this song, the powerful music in this version seem to add to the hurt and frustration in the lyrics and fits the character better. I'm sure this will be a song I listen to over and over when I officially get to that part of the book.

In other news, the critique group when fantastically, with good ideas for everyone on their individual projects. Andrea is going back to start on draft two of her book and is trying to not be distracted by a shiny new idea for a different book that also shows awesome potential. Aubrey is doing a major free write to get everything out before she starts putting it all together for her book. And I have to say, both girls have some incredible stuff going on. Andrea's story is gripping and intense and has me dying to know what happens next, while Aubrey's is heartwrenching and emotional and very beautifully written - even though she says it's all very rough right now. As for me, they gave me great feedback, and going through Aubrey's notes on my chapters was incredibly helpful. She is our editing queen and she has some fantastic ideas on how to make things sound more natural. Andrea gave me some great ideas on what to bring for book two and encouragement over some subplots going on in book one. I love these girls and these meetings are great for helping us all keep up our motivation.

I've managed to get out a couple more chapters since and I'm getting really excited about where I am. It's getting past most of the setup and into the meat of the story and I am really getting into it. It's on my mind all the time, and I'm constantly thinking about different scenes and dialogue and whatnot. It's actually kind of distracting, but I'm loving it. I'm just under 18,000 words and I'm amazed that I've gotten so far. My goal is at least 65,000 words for each book, though I would love to get to 80,000 if it works out that way. Which means that I'm almost a quarter of the way through!!! It's exciting and only helps keep my motivation up. I'm hoping to get to 20,000 by the end of the week, so wish me luck, and hopefully what I get out is good.

That's all for me right now. I'm still waiting on hearing back from the university I applied to, so in the meantime I'll keep on writing (and reading fantastic books by fantastic authors) while I wait. Until next time, happy writing everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment